How To Play
Gameplay, which is insanely easier than it seems:
- The objective of the game is to correctly match your cards to the wine in each Bottle Round, and earn the most points based on those cards. After all wines have been tasted, the taster with the most points wins the game. The taster with the lowest points cleans the spit bucket.
- In order to play SOMM Blinders Game, each player must bring a wine from the wine list in the deck with the label hidden so that no other player knows what they’ve brought. It doesn’t matter if there are multiple of the same wine, it adds to the fun! The wines can range from cheap to expensive, new world, old world, vintage, young and so on... but remember, other players may know you pretty well and may be able to guess what wine you've brought along, so try to throw them off by choosing something else!
- The table decides the first "dealer" (everyone will have a turn), who shuffles and deals everyone 5 cards face down. The dealer then pours their wine to each person's glass without letting anyone see the label.
- Like poker, you could have a terrible hand - maybe all white wine cards when the wine is clearly red. If this happens, the goal is to replace your cards with others rather than keep the ones in your hand. It is all about strategy. In the first round the players are only allowed to smell the wine. Anyone who accidentally tastes it loses points.
- Starting left of the dealer, every player, including the dealer, must pick up from the blind pile or the discard pile and then discard a card, face-up, to the discard pile on their turn. All eyes are on the dealer's discards because they know what the wine is.
- At the end of five rounds, everyone's cards may have been completely replaced through steal cards, pickups and discards; and the taster to the left of the dealer has the chance to call the wine if they want to (if they don't call it, each subsequent player can call it). When someone gets it right, the Bottle Round ends.
- Steal cards: These have negative points if they are in your hand when a wine is called correctly, but should be held until the last possible moment because hands get better and better. They can be used to steal a random card from anyone's hand at the table. The stealer cannot see what card they're taking, so hold your cards carefully.
- When the wine is called: If the call is correct, that player gets extra points plus the points on their correct cards. If they are wrong (and you will see, the table goes crazy) the game goes on until someone is right. All correct card points are added up in each player's hands and written down. Incorrect cards count for nothing.
- Now it’s on to the next wine. The person with the lowest cumulative points after all the Bottle Rounds cleans the spit bucket as the rest of the table revisits the wines.
- Full and simple rules come with the deck and videos are coming on how to play, win, and outsmart everyone. Trust us, this game can be figured out by anyone in one round.
- Use small pours in each glass
- Encourage people to use the spit bucket
- Drink and play responsibly
This game of Blinders was years in the making and was never intended to be a “party drinking game” with the goal of everyone consuming copious amounts of wine. It’s a game of strategy and knowledge, coupled with the enjoyment of having fun with friends around a table. It’s a test to each person’s wine knowledge!
Novice and professional wine drinkers alike can play this game. It’s a lot of fun… take our word on that!